Staff Nurse Job Description
The nursing profession is extremely important and growing fast; hence a description of the work of staff nurse will educate about all their tasks and educational requirements. The main task is to provide care to patients who have been admitted to the hospital.
This job has existed for a long time. Today, there are many types of nurses who have special tasks depending on the field they enter. One of the different types of nurses is a staff nurse. Some aspects of their duties are similar to all nurses, but some are different, including academic qualifications.
Staff nurses must take care of patients under their care. They have to keep the charts and give the drugs according to the chart. Keeping enough time for the medication is important. Staff nurses also need to monitor their patient diet carefully. Most patients must follow a certain diet based on their illness. Staff nurses must be assured that they stick to their diet as they contribute to the healing process.
Staff nurses just like doctors have to turn around shifts and inform other nurses about what to do for the patient. They also have to accompany the doctors during the tours and update them about the condition of the patients.
Whenever a patient is admitted, they must put the intracath in their vein. This intracat is used to give saline drip injections to the patient. They must be good at it and should be able to enter the vein during the first drilling. They should also be good for dressing wounds.
Staff nurses prepare the patients before any surgery. They bring them to and from the operating room and help them recuperate. They also talk to the patient’s family. Staff nurses also have access to drug inventory. They need to make sure the supplies meet the patient’s needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff nurses must provide patient care and support for doctors
- They must provide medication and injections at the time stated in their charts
- They have to get the patients ready before the operation, and even talk to the family about the procedures
- They must ensure that the patient follows all dietary requirements
- They must also ensure that the patient is in good hygienic condition and has to provide them with a sponge bath every day
- They must keep track of the patients during their rounds, and even inform other nurses when changes occur.
- They must be great because patients sickness can become serious at any times and may need to bring them to the intensive care unit.
- Staff nurses must have a soft touch, because they are those who perform invasive procedures, such as intarcath placement, catheter, and injection.
- They must also ensure that records of all patients are accurate and up-to-date.
- A bachelor’s degree in nursing is the first mandatory requirement
- A license and registration of the state in which they work is required
- Good health and fitness
- Happy and compassionate
- Excellent people and teamwork skills
- Observation skills
- Ability to deal with emotionally charged and stressed situations
- Oral and written communication skills