Network Engineer Job Description
Network engineers are also known as computer network architects. Network engineers work with an organization’s computer network, using information technology to make network systems for all employees to use. Network complexity vary from one organization to the other, while one company may have one dedicated network engineer some may have many globally connected engineers working together with a Chief Technology Officer as the head.
The network engineer design, test, maintain and oversee manufacturing or development of networking hardware or software.
Network engineers must possess the skills to process, analyze and know where communications are going to be needed in an organization. Create designs for the network and present it to the organization for implementation.
They must be up-to-date on the latest technology and modern means of communication, comprehend and determine the hardware and wiring needs for buildings, and also manage communications that go in and out of the building.
Network Engineer Job Responsibilities
- Establishes and maintains network performance by building net configurations and connections; identifying and resolving network problems.
- Establishes networking environment by designing system configuration; directing system installation; defining, documenting, and enforcing system standards.
- Maximizes network performance by monitoring performance, solving network problems and outages, overseeing the upgrade of the computer system and also collaborating with network architects on network optimization.
- They Secure network system by establishing access modalities, monitoring access to the network and enforcing security policies.
- Reporting and evaluating operational network status by gathering information, evaluating them and managing communication projects.
Job Skills and Requirements
- Analytical Skills: Network engineers have to look at complicated network systems to find flaws or room for improvement. They must critically analyze information to know which part of the organization needs a particular mode of communication and which lapse needs to be fixed.
- Attention to Detail: Network engineers must painstakingly take into consideration every little detail in other to improve service and efficiency of the organization. Details are necessary to create complex blueprints for communication networks, and make sure the systems will work together.
- Leadership Skills: Network engineers may be a leader of other engineers to create the network. They must be able to work alongside other engineers in the process of executing and building communication designs for the organization.
- Organizational Skills: ability to manage different information and networks efficiently. Sometimes many networks come together at once. It requires organizing skill to manage them and stop a clash of communications.
- Teamwork: Network engineer most times do not work alone, they work with other professionals in the executing process, so, teamwork and good human relations are necessary to ensure efficiency.
- Tracking Budget Expenses: the network engineer draws the cost of maintaining communications in an organization.
- Problem Solving: They solve every problem related to networking and communication in an organization. They create a medium of effective communication for the staffs of an organization.
- Network Design and Implementation: They have a great ability to designs and create blueprints for networking and communication according to the demands of every organization. They also oversee the implementation of the designs.