Look over a sample of paralegal cover letter. Here are writing guides, including what to include and how to format. Feel free to copy-paste and edit for your job application.
A paralegal is a legal professional who does a lot of the same tasks performed by attorneys, although a paralegal is restricted in certain tasks because he or she is not a licensed attorney. For instance, a paralegal is not allowed to give legal advice to clients or present cases in court. A paralegal’s duties will differ depending on what type of law firm or corporation he or she works for, but the paralegal profession, regardless of the type of law, will likely include a lot of legal writing. Paralegals are often responsible for drafting contracts and agreements related to their area of law.
Before writing your letter, sit down and answer the questions below. It will get you started and help you focus on what’s important as often times people go off on tangents.
- Why are you writing this cover letter?
- What’s the job that you are applying for?
- How did you find the position or hear about it?
- Do you have experience that is related to the job?
- Do you have education that is related to this job?
- What skills or abilities do you have that would be a great fit for the position?
What paralegal cover letter should entails
- You want to get the reader’s attention
- You want to say what position you are interested in and why you are interested in the company
- You should state how you heard about the position and mention any personal connections you have to the company such as a friend that works there.
- Detail why you’re qualified for the position and the things you’ve achieved
- Make sure you’re not just repeating the exact same information that’s on your resume. The cover letter should make your resume come alive and explain your qualifications in more detail. However, you can make references to your resume though.
- State why you would be a good fit for the job, why you’re qualified for the position and how your qualifications match the job description.
- Make sure to mention specific accomplishments that relate to the position you’re applying for and the field of work. Also, mention why you enjoy this line of work.
- State what future action is desired
- If you want to be proactive, you can say that you will follow-up with them in two weeks. If you do put a statement like that, make sure you do follow-up.
- Explain how you can be reached for interviews and make sure that your contact method is actually a good way to reach you quickly.
- Advise them that you’d be happy to give them additional information or materials such as references, if requested.
- Make sure to close the letter by thanking them for their time.
Paralegal Cover Letter Sample
Dear Mr. Phil,
This letter is in regards to my interest in applying for the entry-level paralegal position at ABC. With my skills and qualifications I am more than capable of providing paralegal support services to protect your company’s innovations and intellectual property.
While pursuing an Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies from Birmingham University, I have developed knowledge of intellectual property law. As a member of the Junior Paralegal Club, I was able to stay up to date on all current affairs in relation to corporate law. With an internship at a mid-size law firm I was able to apply this knowledge and gain hands on experience in the field.
During my internship with The XXX firm, I was responsible for;
- The preparation of documents for criminal and civil trials by scheduling and conducting interviews with clients, witnesses and other lawyers.
- Creating and maintaining a paper and electronic litigation database.
- In-depth research and analysis of cases on corporate governance and litigation
Together, I believe my educational background and internship experience make ma a suitable candidate for the paralegal position at your firm. I have attached my resume highlighting my academic professional skills and look forward to hearing from you in due course. I appreciate your time and consideration.
**This is only the paralegal cover letter sample that we present to you to build it by yourself. Good luck and get the right job soon.