Office manager job description sample, including tasks, skills, and responsibilities to edit to attract top candidates for your business.
An office manager is responsible for ensuring that an office runs smoothly. However, there are significant variations in the scope of the job, which is dependent of the nature of the business. Often they will find themselves taking on responsibilities for Human Resources functions, basic accountancy and budgeting. One aspect that makes them more senior than normal administrative staff is that they can have direct reports, usually administrative assistants and other types of clerical staff.
The role of an office manager consists of:
- Taking calls
- Posting with invoices to the general ledger
- Managing of suppliers to the office
- Maintenance of the stock of the office stationary and other supplies
- Booking meetings for or with clients
- Trying to control expenditure on running the office
- Ensuring that facilities are maintained
- Human Resources Responsibility
- Promoting enforcing regulations and initiatives (e.g. Mandatory Training)
- The maintenance of information going into database
Many roles will contain some of all these activities, plus much more. However, no matter how diverse the responsibilities can be, the main aim of an Office Manager is to ensure that the office runs effectively. Office Managers manage their own direct reports, which means they are responsible for interviewing, appraisals and all related HR functions.
Characteristics of a good Office Manager:
Being adaptable is the important characteristics, as roles vary between offices. Furthermore, you are responsible for the smooth running of the office and you will need to be handle every eventuality.
- Good academics to at least a secondary education level
- Excellent communication
- Good decision maker and problem solver
- Interpersonal skills for various situations
- Discretion for handle sensitive and confidential data
- Meeting tight deadlines
- Advanced skills in range computer software
The general level of education that Office Manager requires as a foundation can vary, but they will need a good level of secondary education. They have a managerial element to their job, be sure that the course includes management training.
- Professional office manager resume sample
- Office manager intern resume sample
- Entry level office manager resume sample
- Office manager cover letter example