Investment Bank Job Description Sample
The investment banking sector these days seems to be the fastest money making sector, as it has been noted that it is mainly this sector that gives its employers the opportunity of making up to hundreds of thousands in their first year, if they play their cards right. It further serves as a high rise platform to boost its employers higher to other lucrative business opportunities. This singular attraction of high salary is the basic selling point of this sector as lots of banking inclined graduates aim to be absorbed into the field. Investment bankers assist clients in raising money for their businesses in the capital market. This is done by making use of the platforms of loans granted by the company.
At this juncture, it is important to note that one of the prevailing misconceived ideas about the investment banking sector is that anyone who’s proficient at business mathematical calculations is capable of handling the post of an investment banker. Although it is good to be skilled in business mathematics, it cannot stand alone when it comes to the investment banking sector. A combination of proficiency in business mathematics and other relevant business skills would determine your success as an investment banker. Being persuasive, dexterous, professional and capable of multitasking are vital skills when it comes to investment banking. Investment banking promises great salary earnings, but also promises heavy workload.
Other job requirements include:
- Helping clients with investment analysis to aid them in making profitable investment decisions.
- You will need to proffer client-friendly policies that would engender continual patronage and retention of clients.
- You will be expected to work long worthy hours in and out of the office. But that does not come without its compensation besides salary earnings.
- You will be in charge of issuing of debts and the selling of stock for the company. What it means to issue debt, is to sell bonds to investors.
- You will be tasked with the responsibility of persuading investors and sealing deals reached with investors, to make a profit for both the investors and the bank you work for. It’s a win-win responsibility.
- You will be tasked with the responsibility of seeing to the efficiency of sales men in aggressive promotion of the bank’s client-friendly policies and packages.
- You will be in charge of brokering deals as regards M&As (Mergers and Acquisitions). Your expertise would be required in ensuring the smooth running of brokering such deals.
- You will serve in advisory capacity to clients that go beyond your field of expertise. Advising them on what investment to engage in.
Having taken time out to highlight the functions of an investment banker, it is essential to note that the field is highly competitive, and the reason is no farfetched – high salary earning. Possessing a strong arsenal of educational qualification, on the job experience, and relevant persuasive and client relations skills would be the dividing line between the regular investment banking applicant and the whizzes.