Dental Assistant Job Description – Dental assistants play out an assortment of patient care and frequently work seat side as the dentist examine.
Dental assistants play out an assortment of patient care, office, and laboratory duties, and frequently work seat side as the dentist examine and treat patients. They influence patients to be comfortable in the dental seat, to set them up for treatment, and get their dental records. Dental assistants hand instruments and equipment to the dental practitioner and keep patients’ mouths dry and clear by using suction or distinctive materials, and besides clean and disinfect instruments and equipment., get the instrument tray for dental procedures, and teach patients on postoperative and general oral human care.
Some dental assistants get ready materials for impressions and reclamations, take dental X rays, and process x-ray film as coordinated by a dental specialist. Assists with office obligations plan and affirm arrangements, get patients, keep treatment records, send bills, get installments, and request dental supplies and materials.
Dental assistants ought not to be mistaken for dental hygienists, who are authorized to perform diverse clinical errands.
Dental Assistant Job Description – DUTIES
Dental assistant tasks consist of organizing the patient for the dental examination, helping the dentist during dental treatments, and doing front-office work. Front-office job duties might include assisting patients schedule appointments and working with apparatus suppliers to handle deliveries.
Some specific dental assisting job duties may include:
- Answering patient questions before an appointment
- Preparing patients for dental procedures by making them comfortable and providing any instructions
- Sterilizing dental instruments and equipment, and placing for easy access
- Preparing the dental exam room for use by the dentist by making sure it is stocked and organized
- Assisting the dentist with procedures, including passing instruments, getting supplies, and using the suction tube to keep the patient’s mouth dry
- Assisting with dental x-rays
- Assisting with dental lab work
- Instructing patients on dental hygiene and proper care of dental fixtures
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Keeping patient records
- Assisting with billing and invoicing needs
Dental Assistant Job Description – RESPONSIBILITIES
Beyond the duties listed above, dental assistants also have more general responsibilities when it comes to handling patients. Understanding these responsibilities is not taught in dental assisting courses, but can be developed while working as a dental assistant.
Few of the general dental assisting duties are: WORKING WITH PEOPLE
Dental assistants routinely work with patients who are suffering from one pain or the other, are in a hurry, or don’t want to be there. Having good people skills comes in handy.
Dental assistants spend a lot of time explaining things such as dental hygiene, proper care of dental fixtures, and proper use of toothbrushes and other dental tools.
While the dentist is treating a patient, the dental assistant should be able to pay close attention and anticipate the dentist’s needs. Attention to detail is essential.
WORKING WITH NUMBERS
Since some dental assistant duties involve billing patients and receiving payments, being good with numbers is an additional skill to have.
Managing the front office is part of a dental assistant’s job, so being able to keep an area organized is a responsibility dental assistants.
EDUCATION REQUIRED FOR BECOMING A DENTAL ASSISTANT
Apart from education acquired in school, there are few more things that are required to qualify as dental assistants. Below are few requirement to qualify for a dental assistance:
- High school diploma
- Good communication skills
- Basic knowledge of computers
- Eagerness to learn on the job as most of the training is gained there; no other institutes provide specialized training in it
- Many use this opportunity to learn about dentistry as they are students themselves CAREER ADVANCEMENT
If one gets to be part of a successful practice, they could get the opportunity to run the whole clinic. Many assist the dentists to learn and study to become dentists themselves.