Babysitter Job Description Sample
Love for babies is a unique trait with all the dreams of watching babies fall to sleep with their cute smiles and all. However, as it is with fairy tales, there is an unsaid realistic part to just loving babies for their cuteness; pooping and night cries would challenge such love. It is strongly advised that no one, no matter how qualified, should apply for such a delicate position of a babysitter, if such a person has a great dislike or indifference for babies. The world could make do without having to shed tears for innocent babies that have passed on prematurely due to neglect and often horrendous maltreatment from ‘babysitters.’
A babysitter is one who fills in for parents, who as a result of schedule and prevailing circumstances, do not have enough time to care for their children. However, depending on the kind of contract, services rendered by babysitters vary from few hours to a greater number of hours per day. Similarly, depending on the agreement reached with the parents, the functions of a babysitter are always tailored down to usually demands.
The job of a babysitter involves performing certain minor housekeeping functions, such as washing of dishes, cleaning the floor and children room(s), attending to messes made by children and overall being attentive to the needs of the children (games, nap times, feeding, toilet times, etc.). Also, at all times a babysitter must see to the safety of the children in his/her customer, irrespective of their tantrums. But must be done in love, so the children can easily accept a ‘no’ with ease.
Here are other basic duties that are required of a babysitter:
- You’ll be planning and preparing meals for the children, while noting special situations like allergy and food sickness.
- You’ll be in charge of disciplining the children with methods approved by the parents.
- You’ll be in charge of organizing and coordinating them for the day, in terms of taking a walk in the park and overseeing their play time.
- You’ll likewise be responsible for taking care of the house during work hours, to ensure the children don’t mess up the house leaving it like post-apocalypse.
To secure the position as a babysitter, it is important to, first of all, have a love for children, then you move further from there to possessing the necessary skills that would make you stand out as a babysitter with ease. These skills include, and are not limited to:
- Patience and firmness with children when necessary
- Ability to maintain your calm when surrounded by children throwing tantrums, while simultaneously attending to the cause of such tantrums.
- Ability to maintain basic hygiene, thus serving as a model to the children
- Ability to handle domestic chores without supervision
- Ability to perform simple tricks that would leave the children entertained
- Must be intelligent enough to handle queer questions from children and assist with their school homework.